Geneza kuracji Najświętszego Serca Pana Jezusa w gliwickiej dzielnicy hutniczej

The Origin of Curacy of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Smelting Quarter of Gliwice

Treść artykułu: Pobierz | Czytaj

Strona: 371 - 392

Publikacja w numerze: 35 (2015)

Autor: Piotr Górecki


Silesia in the first half of the 20th c. painfully experienced rifts caused by uprisings in the plebiscite. In the part of Upper Silesia which remained within the borders of Germany stress was put not only on the development of industry, but also on solving demographic and social problems caused by the quickening increase in population in industrial towns. The phenomenon of greater and greater poverty among workers was a favourable ground for growing social unrest. The Catholic Church was also active on this plane by promoting ideas of just distribution of goods and social peace. The parishes with lots of members required division and the creation of new local communities and diocesan priests were aided by monastic orders and congregations, which since the end of the Kulturkampf restarted founding their posts. In 1923 a monastery was founded in Gliwice by Friars Minor of St. Francis of Assisi from the Wroclaw province of St. Hedwig. After 123 years of absence the Franciscans settled again in Gliwice. Already after a year the church of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus was consecrated in an adapted building of former steelworkers’ inn. In January 1925 a new pastoral post was established at the church. Subject to bilateral agreement it functioned as a curacy linked formally to the old parish of St. Peter and Paul. The topic of the current paper is the history of origin of the monastery of Franciscan Friars in Gliwice and the curacy managed by them. The author outlines the history of origin and development of the smelting quarter in Gliwice. The quick development of industry caused an increase in the number of Catholics in Gliwice. Facing that fact numerous parishes supported their division creating helpful foundations such as the Association for Construction of the Church of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus in the smelting quarter. The act of foundation of the new monastery and construction works have also been characterized. Creation of the new curacy in January 1925 was possible thanks to the agreement between the Franciscans and the parish of St. Peter and Paul.